Friday, September 23, 2011

What is an appropriate age for children to be taught sex education?

I started being taught sex ed when i was in 3rd grade! I think that's too young, but since a lot of people have sex at such young ages nowadays, maybe teaching sex ed at a young age/grade is a good idea...?





So, when do you think is the right time/appropriate age for children to be taught sex ed?|||I think that sex ed is ongoing. You cant just on day sit someone down and tell them everything... most likely it will go in one ear and come out the other. When I was in 1st grade I first asked my mom about sex and she told me, but told me in a way that I would understand. While I was in elementry school they taught us starting in 4th grade. I think that earlier is better. The more educated children are, I believe the less likely teens will end up pregnant or with STD's. But I think that it has to be in a way that younger children will understand... takeing babysteps to explain it... and not every detail has to be added. My brother is 9 and last year he asked about sex because they were talking about it in school. He ended up saying that it happens when a mommy and a daddy love each other.|||I don't think that there is a "too young." Sex is sex, it is the way of life. Americans are so prudent and scared of the "s word" that they blow up at it all the time. I grew up in Denmark and we started learning about sex in kindergarten, not just heterosexual, but homosexual too. Sex is natural and not something to fear. It is funny that graduating American seniors leave high school feeling as if they were not taught enough in sexual education, then go off to college and get pregnant and STDs. Over here in Europe we have way lower rates at STDs, teen pregnancies, etc.





So, I think sex should be discussed early. I am not talking about the positions or anything dirty like that, but what it is and how to have it safely.





P.S. people are not having sex any younger now than they used too. Especially if you think about that fact that people were getting married at 12 only 150 years ago.|||Sex ed. should be an ongoing process, not a "Sit down, son, I'm going to tell you about the birds and the bees" kind of thing. When kids start asking questions, they should be given an age appropriate answer, not a "You'll understand when you are older."


Children from infancy should learn to respect and protect their bodies, and they should learn to respect loved ones and those of the opposite gender.


If certain principles are taught from a very young age, much of sex education would already make sense by the time the biological facts are explained, for example, if a child learns to care for their body and take care of it, the concept of avoiding diseases, striving for a monogamous relationship, etc. will naturally make sense. It should still be explained, but someone who has properly parented will already have the background to instill sexual morality in their child.


I'm an educator, and I think a big reason why we see younger kids having sex probably has more to do with the fact that more kids aren't taught to respect other people or themselves in a proper manner.|||I agree with jc. I don't think 3rd grade, or even preschool, is too early if sex education involves simple answers to children's questions. I don't think you should bombard a small child with long scientific lectures on birth control and varieties of sexual expression, since no child is even ready to think about those things yet, but most children with younger siblings have had some basic questions about where the baby comes from and things like that. As long as you keep it age-appropriate, I don't think there is anything wrong with sex education at any age.|||Sex education by a teacher is a difficult option due to the sensitivity involved, the parents may demand many things like filming the entire class, ' what went in the class some items they may consider too much for any age given' one can't enter into clearing doubts without a question and answer session, there also the curiosity kills the tranquility of the class some oversensitivity also noticed like giggle etc.,





It is better to learn for themselves through books and the parents can buy the books considering according to their moores.|||I'm in 8th grade and I'm turning 14. I have NEVER been taught anything specificly about sex itself. I've never had sex education clases or anything.





I think a good age would be about 10. You're letting little kids know about all this stuff when there younger, and as you get older you find out more about this concept. I don't think its that big of a dela anyways, the teachers in my school are saying its so bad and don't do it, I heard that, but yet, There's at least 7 teachers who's pregant or has had like 1-2 kids! What the heck? So yeah, I think thats pretty reasonable age.|||I would say kids as young as 11-12 should be taught about sex. I dated a guy who always wanted to have sex at age 13 with me but I always told him to wait. He still kept hitting on me and humping me on my locker (which ended thankfully) then I rented a movie that was about sex and he stopped. He really didn't want to have sex anymore. I kept telling him you push it in I push it out and I don't want to push it out yet. You have the easy part.|||A.S.A.P. If kids learn the real facts about sex at a young age like in elementary school, then they'll be able to avoid believing the garbage other kids will tell them when their like in middle school. The sooner, the better. I learned all about sex in the third grade at age 9. I also went to a private Lutheran Christian school.|||i think when they are about 12. lots of teen girls are getting pregnant as young as 13 and 12 i the perfect ge they aren't to old but not to young!|||About 3 because I know these 2 year olds who had sex because they didnt know what it was|||11-12|||i learnt in y6

No comments:

Post a Comment